Date: 4/17/2013
Trainer: David Rancatore
Trainee/s: Analicia, Michelle, Mark (a.k.a. Blue)
Follow:
Please give a brief overview of the trainee/s performance during their follow, including strengths and weaknesses. List each in order if multiple trainees are present.
Everyone was really smart and really on the ball. We started off by going over day one and going over the test questions. The night started off very, very, very slowly and we did bathroom checks and I briefed them on random advice and tidbits that I could think of. It got really hectic though once the Clue quote-along and Place Beyond the Pines sat. I got pulled away from the runners doing general server support, but found the time to check in with the trainees and see how they were doing. All three were awesome! I wasn't very concerned during the rush even with everything being so haywire with them because they all seemed very strong.
Mark, who goes by Blue, was all around amazing. He was really on the ball and was already doing everything that I could say before I could even say it. He's really laid back but very attentive to his surroundings and made sure to keep up on bathroom checks throughout the night. He also doesn't get overwhelmed easily and does a really good job of staying on whatever task is at hand. For example, a theater clean was about to start and when I asked if he could go to theater three he said he had to take care of something but would be there afterwards.
Michelle also has prior food experience and she said she was more comfortable carrying drink trays than food trays. She has the hang of it down and for her it's just repetition and getting faster at this point. She understood the general problem solving and how to take care of issues and flags on her own. She's a bit on the quiet side and might need to be pushed outside her comfort zone at times, but she started to loosen up as the night went on.
Analicia was great. I followed her the most partly out of coincidence and partly because she seemed like she needed a bit more guidance and was also taking to it extremely well. For her it's just a matter of getting repetition and getting faster.
What we didn't cover:
I didn't have a chance to really go over more detail oriented runner advice and/or how to run food in the theater just because it got so busy. For example, Lacey said she saw someone carry three food items into a theater on a drink tray to run it to a table. Since it was so busy they were left alone for some food running and came up with some unique ways to do things. I went over the food on the drink trays in the theater with everyone but didn't have a chance to observe all of them run food for an extended period of time throughout the night.
Something to watch for might be theater cleans. We got stretched a bit thin during the cleans at one point and I attribute that to why some were a bit late and we were a bit all over.
If Day Three Follow, please post trainee/s Certification score and/or retake score.
What roles do you see the trainee/s attaining in their future with the Alamo Drafthouse family?
Blue said he wanted to be a bartender. He's been one since he was 21 and he said he'd like to do that here too but also voiced interest in becoming a server. Michelle and Analicia both want to be servers.
Did you cover all topics on the Follow Card?
yes
Do you feel that the trainee/s was given enough guidance?
yes/no? They got guidance where they needed it but I would have preferred to have been with them all a bit more to polish habits before things got so hectic. They all got a bit different information. As in, I tried to make sure everyone was on the same page, but sometimes I would tell two people one thing and then not have a chance to fill in the third until later or after the fact or I would forget what I had told one and if I had told the other two as well.
What was something you learned from this train?
That even when trainees are more than competent and even outstanding they can still develop habits that need a bit of tweaking.
What feedback do you have to improve our training efforts?
No comments:
Post a Comment