Date: 1/27/12
Trainer: Cory
Trainee/s: Stephanie & Justin
Follow: D3 / Ritz - Slaughter Transfer
Please give a brief overview of the trainee/s performance during their follow, including strengths and weaknesses. List each in order if multiple trainees are present.
Stephanie did great! Very positive, attentive, and fast. Stephanie must have had some solid training at Lamar; she practically knew every answer to the Certification Test as we were reviewing it. Unfortunately she was told to know all of the ingredients in the 'Cobb Salad', when the Certification calls for the ingredients in the 'Greek' & 'House' Salad. She was a bit thrown off by that, and the different intervals at which we check the restrooms. Lake Creek, and the Ritz, are in 15 minute intervals, but apparently South Lamar is in 30 minute intervals. This being the case, I think we need to decide on a universal time for 'Restroom Checks', if we are going to use it as test material.. as well as update the Certification, Key, as it states 'True: Restrooms are checked every 30 minutes', when it is actually NOT true for at least 2 Austin locations. Also, the certification seems very generic in the sense that it applies to the Austin market, however there are a few point scale issues I've come to notice with the certification in regard to the Ritz. The Wing Flavors are BBQ, Buffalo, Caesar, & Plum Ginger. A question worth 5 points, that only has 4 answers. We should probably think of a more well rounded 'Wing' Question so that we don't upset the balance of this generic certification. We do not carry Apocalypse Now, or Chocolate covered espresso beans if you want to add that to the Cheat Sheet (Kody) + The Ritz does serve Brunch on the weekends, it's just rare that we have a show early enough to feature it, and the Menu is limited in it's selection in that it does not include the Breakfast Burrito, so that may need some revision as well (Question #37). Stephanie didn't have any weaknesses as far as I could tell.
Justin was... okay. Very youthful, but kind of timid. Coming from a location that is, simply put 'dead', to a location that is rather chaotic, and fast-paced has to be a difficult transition so I understand his reservations. I believe Mike posted that he was 'not very fast', which I strongly agree with; but speed comes with time, and I would rather him be accurate, and thorough than RUSH through training with any kind of preconceived notions as to 'how thing work', because realistically the 2 locations, West Oaks, & The Ritz, and more than miles apart. I think he'll come around, and pick up the pace, I'm just worried about how the other staff members will receive him.
If Day Three Follow, please post trainee/s Certification score and/or retake score.
Stephanie: 200/200
Justin: 198/200
What roles do you see the trainee/s attaining in their future with the Alamo Drafthouse family?
I urged Stephanie to go into serving. She wasn't really sure what she wanted to do just yet, but I think she has the right personality for it.
Justin was a Server/SL at West Oaks, so I can only assume he wants to go into serving as well.
Did you cover all topics on the Follow Card?
Top to bottom
Do you feel that the trainee/s was given enough guidance?
This is hard to answer because I only see the end result of their training experience, and am not really really there start to finish. But, I do know that they are one of the best groups I've had to train thus far.
What was something you learned from this train?
Found some minor differences in locations
What feedback do you have to improve our training efforts?
I think South Lamar should encourage more team-work in their training efforts. I understand that you don't want 'green' employees handling your flags, running drinks, or helping other runners finish running their trays as it leaves some margin for error, but these are all things I like to break them in with on their Day 3 as it is what will be expected of them the next day. Long term the need for a cross-trained drink runner position will become more prevalent with Vista. In all aspects of food and beverage, I think that if we promote more cross-training in these departments it will not only make our jobs as servers easier, but improve the quality of service we give by decreasing ticket times. Just an idea..
No comments:
Post a Comment