Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Date: 01/31

Trainer: Alexander

Trainee/s: Kelsey, Charles, Crystal, (Nicole) Bostic, Marshall and Whitney

Follow:

Today was a good day one train. It was a class leaning towards the larger side (6), which kept me from doing as much one on one training as I like, but all in all it was a good class and the amount of trainees was manageable and no problem.  


Kelsey: Kelsey was the most timid of the bunch. By the end of the night she seemed more confident but it definitely took her a while to warm up. All in all I feel like she understands the concept and will greatly benefit from the day two train. I would advise keeping the closest eye on Kelsey and ensure she is comfortable as the day progresses. Please also keep an eye on her and make sure she is getting plenty of practice running trays. She seemed timid with them and seemed to shy away from running them as much as she could. I had to actively ask her to run a tray on more than one occasion.


Charles: Charles was very comfortable with the concept of the Alamo but seemed to not maintain much focus. Maybe he thought it was all too easy and didn't need to pay total attention? All in all he seemed to understand but was easily distracted. Please make sure he is up to speed and didn't miss anything on day one. Though I continuously asked him if he heard me and understood, and he said yes, I would hate for him not to be up to speed because he spaced out at different times today.

Crystal: I have nothing but great things to say about Crystal. She was very attentive, took initiative, was a fast learner and her service industry experience greatly showed. She is currently working days at Kirby Lane and will be working nights at the Alamo. She seems like a perfect candidate to fast track to server, maybe even in time for Slaughter open.

Bostic: Nicole, who goes by Bostic, was a solid trainee. She didn't stand out as excellent, but was solid in her day one. I definitely see her warming up and standing out more as she becomes more accustomed to the Alamo and the concept. I feel her average performance today was more the result of day one jitters and I can see her shining as her days with the company continue.


Marshall: Marshall reminded me a lot of a class clown. He seemed to want to be the center of attention and constantly wanted to chat about the most random, non related topics. After a couple of random interruptions, as we transitioned from one topic to another,  I let him know we needed to focus on the training and he was not a problem after that. He actually impressed me once we started running and he picked up much faster and better than I thought he would. He is another solid trainee who should have a strong handle on running after his day two train.


Whitney: Whitney was on the stronger side of the trainees today. She was more timid than I expected towards the start of the shift but picked up steam and proved to be a strong and solid trainee. She is very eager and excited to be working for the Alamo and has her sights set on some high goals.



What roles do you see the trainee/s attaining in their future with the Alamo Drafthouse family?

Kelsey: would like to pursue serving down the road.

Charles: wants to eventually be working in the bar.

Crystal: also wants to get behind the bar but if we can change her mind we should. She is currently serving at Kirby Lane and would be an awesome server for the Alamo. In fact, if we can fast track her and have her helping out on the server team when Slaughter opens, she would be ideal for this.

Bostic: mentioned interest in the kitchen side of things. She has prior experience and says she is most comfortable in a kitchen. She should considered for this role as I feel she could definitely excel. 


Marshall: wants to end up in the ticket booth.

Whitney: has experience training in her previous jobs. She ultimately would like to help the Alamo train employees but would like work tickets on her way to training.

Did you cover all topics on the Follow Card? Yes.

Do you feel that the trainee/s was given enough guidance? Yes.

What was something you learned from this train?
Having sharpies on day one really would be a nice thing to eliminate pointless headaches in the day one train. Can we emphasize how important a sharpie is to the Alamo uniform? I feel training, in general, would be much more effective if they had sharpies on day one. (ie. prep., training on pulling order flags, writing their names on their employee drinks, etc.)

What feedback do you have to improve our training efforts?

I know we are in a transitional period but it seems like these blogs are very effective. Can we do away with doing the evals in the runners booklets? 

1 comment:

Cory Followell said...

I definitely agree about the evaluations. If we can't get rid of them is there at least a way we can re-format/simplify the layout so that they are easier to fill out?

Cory