Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Date: 1/25

Trainer: Mike Apolinar

Trainee/s: Stephanie & Justin

Follow: Day 1

Today was yet another awesome training shift. I had two trainees, Stephanie and Justin. Justin is an unofficial transfer from our Houston location, and Stephanie had worked a desk job before this and has little food and hospitality experience. These two were as awesome as can be. I taught them the basics on portioning and restocking, baskets and bowls, and they got to run for a little bit. I really pushed quizzing to the limit with this class only because I felt they could handle it. I put a lot of info into there heads, but man I was impressed by how much they learned and how fast they picked up. They were also really great on theater cleans.

Stephanie: Stephanie is great. Has a great memory so she was able to remember table numbers and testing material. Loud, vocal and feels confident. She told me she had worked a desk job before this, but I could hardly tell. Her speed was great, and she takes initiative . For instance, while she was running, a customer had asked her for a plate and red pepper while she was running food for another table. She knocked it out and then told me what happened. Most trainees ask because they don't feel confident and are unsure. But not her. Its not a big deal, but she said she was hard of hearing in her left ear. Just FYI.

Grade: 8/10 - Solid in every aspect.

Justin: Justin is a former employee of Alamo Houston. His experience showed and I was able to ease up a bit on following him while running. He was a server, but said he was dusty on running and also wanted to catch up on the swing of things. His speed is not the fastest, but he gets the job done. Listens, takes direction real well, and knowledgeable about our dishes. I quizzed him, and he knew most of the answers. From what I saw, maybe his speed needs to be worked on, but then again he could just be adjusting himself from the old Alamo. Other than that, I thought he was awesome.

Grade 7/10 - Experienced showed, Not the fastest but does great. (graded him harder cause of experience)             



What roles do you see the trainee/s attaining in their future with the Alamo Drafthouse family?
I see both of them  becoming servers. Justin was one, and Stephanie has all the attributes you look for in a server.
Did you cover all topics on the Follow Card? YES 

Do you feel that the trainee/s was given enough guidance? Yes, I crammed a lot of info into them, so day 2 trainer don't feel hesitant to ask them anything, beat them with the question stick. 

What was something you learned from this train? I'm learning to better my Day 1 techniques, because, I am accustomed to training on Day 2. 

What feedback do you have to improve our training efforts?  We need a walk-through of all the  stores, so we can better explain the differences. I was going to go on my own, but I  heard that  we were all going to go? I think this would be awesome!   

No comments: