Wednesday, February 29, 2012


Date: 2/29/2012

Trainer: Mike Apolinar

Trainee/s: Jason, Kayla Meagan, Mona, Jonathan (Jono) and Brad

Follow: Day 1

So today went well. We have 6 trainees headed for the Ritz. It started off really quiet, but I was persistant and determined to break the ice. When I had quizzed them at the start of the shift, (which I do with every class) they seemed really timid and not one person wanted to speak up. I used this opportunity to really explain what I was looking for, and what was expected of them. I told them about the big 3: Be Vocal, Take initiative, and Show Effort. Thats when things started to open up they kind of turned it around. Quizzing did take longer than usual, but only because I was trying to get the real quiet ones involved. The quizzing ended well. Now for their individual evaluation:


Jason: Jason was one of the ones that opened up early. He wasn't afraid to answer or ask questions. Showed effort, and was pretty vocal. His work ethic was pretty consistant as he kept up with the bathroom checks. His runner flow was on point. All around, a pretty good worker.


Kayla: She was the most knowledgable, and was also consistant. When I had started off the quizzing she was the only one answering. Also very vocal. Took initiative in different instances. I saw her grabbing plates upon a quest request, bathroom checks without asking and just overall on top of things. I feel if her confidence can turn the corner, she would make a pretty good expo off the bat. 


Meagan: Meagan was solid. She was the most lively of the bunch. The one with the personality. Caught on with running really quick, and was really on the go throughout her shift. 
I just feel she needs to speak up. She wants to be a server, and I feel she could easily obtain that position if she just opened up a little bit more.


Mona: Mona was a busy bee. Really nervous at first, and had me worried. But as the night when on, and about 2 trays in, she was on the go. I hardly saw her without a tray in her hand today. Only downfall though, is that she has to learn to speak up. She was asking the expo for more and saying corner, but I wish she was just louder. Other than that a solid first day.


Brad: This guy confused the heck out of me. The way his personality is,  you think he's staring off into space a lot of the time, but its just the way he his. When I was quizzing, i felt that at times he wasn't paying attention so I would call him out, but then he would give me the answer. His work ethic is pretty solid as well. Was sweeping, wiping counters, caught on to running quick and ran like a boss. The only downfall again, is he needs to be more vocal. He jumped into the mix, showed effort, and worked hard, but its like he never said a word. 


Jonathan (Jono): The overall star of the class. Quizzing was pretty average. But once we got back to the kitchen to start running, this guy stepped it up to a another level. He was the first one that volunteered to run the first tray, and thats all he needed before he was just doing his own thing. He hit the three points to the T. Really felt like  he was already running like a pro, and gave more independence than the rest. Did a really great job.


Overall, the class was pretty consistant. Did pretty good on their theatre clean and was pretty well off on quizzing by the end of the night. Make sure they studied!  
           


What roles do you see the trainee/s attaining in their future with the Alamo Drafthouse family?
Jason - Bar
Kayla - Expo
Meagan - Tickets
Mona - Expo
Brad - Bar
Jono - Server

Did you cover all topics on the Follow Card?
Yes

Do you feel that the trainee/s was given enough guidance?
Yes
What was something you learned from this train?
That you have to get the quiet groups to open up. Let them know your expectations and you will really see who wants to put forth the effort.
What feedback do you have to improve our training efforts?
Trainer Follow Cards which I am in the process of drafting! I will soon be sending Day 1 to you Kody so you can tell me what you think and if you like it!


No comments: