Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Date: 07/02/2013 Trainer: Brandon Kirkland

Date: 07/02/2013

Trainer: Brandon Kirkland

Trainee/s:
1) Maggie Ingram
2) Josh Hallett

Follow: Day 1 Runner training

Please give a brief overview of the trainee/s performance during their follow, including strengths and weaknesses. List each in order if multiple trainees are present.
1) Maggie Ingram - Previous server experience with a very strong grasp on the basics of being a runner. Asked a lot of good questions and took to each task quickly. In general a very smooth first day of training for Maggie. Will make a good addition to the team.
2) Josh Hallett - Josh hasn't had much in the way of food service. He had a good attitude about the process but, seemed to be a little slower at picking up some of the basics. Worked a good amount with Josh on his tray carrying skills and did a good amount of babysitting while running food. I think the amount of information that we were throwing at him may have been a little much but, he seems ready and willing to at least put forth the effort. I suggested that he take it upon himself to study the materials at night and he may need to have some extra attention on day 2 to bring him in line with Maggie.

If Day Three Follow, please post trainee/s Certification score and/or retake score.
N/A
What roles do you see the trainee/s attaining in their future with the Alamo Drafthouse family?
1) Maggie Ingram - Server
2) Josh Hallett - Unsure
Did you cover all topics on the Follow Card?
We did everything other than the popcorn machine. I was considering doing just because I wasn't sure what the final consensus was for changing that in the training but, decided that since we're talking about taking it out completely at the meeting that we might as well push for those changes.

Also, we had discussed writing names on each ticket that we run with the new runner trainees but, by the time we got to the actual running portion of the day it slipped my mind. I did however revisit the idea with them and they should be expecting it on day 2.
Do you feel that the trainee/s was given enough guidance?
Yes
What was something you learned from this train?
I know I've mentioned it before but, with the earlier movies and the added cleaning duties in the morning it's starting to cut into training time. This morning we had a movie that sat at 9:20am so I cleaned half of the lobby by myself before the trainees arrived just to give us extra time and we still did not finish in time to beat the first families walking in. I feel that the lobby portion of day one is one of the most time consuming tasks of the day and one of the least difficult to learn from a training perspective. Also, because I'm helping the trainees clean to get things done in time it is difficult for me to get their uniforms until after the clean is finished.

Then, the latest movie of the morning started seating before noon so it gives me a maximum of around 2 hours to go through runner roleplay, flag pulling and theater clean roleplay before the theater has people sitting in it. That's not to mention that we have to generally cut that time shorter to get out of the way of servers that are trying to set their theater up. Not sure what would be an appropriate fix for this.
What feedback do you have to improve our training efforts?
Either I'm going to need to start coming in earlier in the morning to get a bigger portion of cleaning done myself or we might need to have the trainees come in earlier to have extra time. The most difficult part is that managers aren't always at work by 7:30 and I can't fully finish any of the cleaning duties because the trainees need to be able to experience it themselves. Open for suggestions.

No comments: